Thursday, November 13, 2008

Beauty in the Beast...

Okay - so it's no surprise that my life has been just a little hectic lately (hence the "Beast"!) but then there is a moment where you realize that there is also a whole lot of beauty! This week has been a roller-coaster (what week isn't though really...) but last night as I was driving to school heading west I witnessed one of the most spectacular sunsets I have seen in some time. It was absolutely amazing...I could actually SEE sunbeams! I don't recall seeing that before and I don't know if it was just the time of day, or the little bit of clouds laying low over the horizon, but it was like looking at an illustration where these rays of light were shooting out of the ground. Now I've seen rays of sunshine coming from above and they are spectucular as well, but this is the first time I've seen them shooting out from below. This is a picture I found at www.capetownskies.com/sunbeams.htm that pretty much sums up what it looked like

(although not quite as spectacular) just picture that against a background of pastel hues of pale yellow and rosy pink, turning into bright crimson and gold, and finally fading into a deep bruised purple sky...all the while these sunbeams are shooting out almost as far as the eye can see. It was amazing and it made me feel so small! It made me realize that there is so much more to life than just the rush, rush, rush of our daily lives. We just need to take a moment to appreciate it. I've continued thinking about that sunset I saw last night and how much of a message it was for me. I need to still enjoy the sunsets (or sunrises!) and stop to smell the roses so to speak. We are such a small part of this thing called life...it's important we appreciate the beauty in the beast.

1 comment:

Steph(anie) said...

I saw that same sunset. I couldn't quite believe it. I thought that only happened in paintings.